Saturday, June 5, 2010

No Bible, No Breakfast

I have started a new bit of a "training" exercise lately. When I wake up in the morning, I used to get up, change and feed (if he was hungry) Gabriel. Then, I'd check my e-mail and respond to any that needed it, check various websites that I am a member of, and begin painting in Photoshop, or doing other tasks on the computer to kill time. If it needed to be done (and, to be honest, only when it really needed to be done) I'd do the laundry or dishes.

I didn't pick my bible up as much as I should have, and because of that, I wasn't as happy as I should have been. Of course, I went to church Wednesdays and Sundays and listened to what Pastor Broggi had to say, but I didn't walk as closely with God as I should have.

So, I've started to do something about that. I've started a "No Bible, No Breakfast" rule for myself. Well, I actually do get something to eat or drink while I am reading and reflecting on the passage I've read, but the objective is still there. And you know what? It doesn't feel like a chore at all. I love my morning bible studies, my quiet time with God. I've included Gabriel in this while he is too small to have his own quiet time. I pray and read aloud so that I can be sure that he is seeing and hearing Mommy talk with God and read His Word. But I'm not doing it just for Gabriel, I'm doing it for God. I'm doing it for me. I'm doing it so that I can walk closer to my Savior.

And I'm learning alot too :)
I've been in Hebrews the past couple of days, and it really gripped me, when I read Hebrews 4:14-16 yesterday:

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weakness, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may recieve mercy and find grace to help in time of need. - Hebrews 4:14-16

I don't know about you, but I don't confess my sins as much as I should. I feel embarassed and ashamed of it, but Jesus understands. And like a child who comes to his father, telling him he was the one who ate the cookies, with crumbs on his face, we are to come to the Lord and tell him what he already knows. There is no sin that we can hide from God, nothing. But God is not a wrathful God to His children, He loves us, and forgives us like no other can.

Today I was reading still in Hebrews and came across this, which also pertained directly to my life at this time, in a way that only God's Word can.

Concerning Him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not soild food." - Hebrews 5:11-12

Without being immersed in God's Word, we cannot grow in Him and will always be like babies, always needing milk. I don't want to be this way. In a few days over a month from now, it will mark the one-year anniversary of the day I became saved. I don't want to know as little now as I did then. I don't want to look back a couple years from now and have nothing to show for it in God's eyes.

I want to be a better Child of God, a better wife, a better mother. I want to be better, and I know that if I stick with this rule I have given myself, I will. I love the Lord with all my heart, and I want to show that to Him.


For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to seperate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans8:38-39

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caitlin, great post! It is so good to discipline yourself that way, just don't make it a chore, or become legalistic about it. Think of your time with the Lord like this, you need his nourishment to get through your day, and run to him, rush to him, love him, need him.;) I can hear your heart for the Lord, and I appreciate your transparency!

    My family and I also sat under the teaching of pastor Carl for many years before the Lord moved us. There is none like him, soak it all in, and take heed, while you have it.:)

    Your sweet baby looks just precious, what a blessed young woman you are.

    Thanks for stopping in, loved reading your blog!God bless.

    ReplyDelete