Saturday, June 5, 2010

Late Spring Cleaning

Yesterday I decided to start a little Spring Cleaning project, even though I'm a little later than your typical spring clean. Late is better than never, right? So I made myself a list, and admittedly, I didn't get through everything on it. Here's my list, and what I got done:

Clean Bathrooms (mostly done, just need to sweep and mop)
Organize bathrooms more effectively
Tidy and rearrange living room (done, with Eric's help moving the furniture)
Vaccum (done)
Tidy desk and kitchen counter (about half done, I still need to tackle the desk)
Tidy Gabriel's room (Again, about half done)
Have quiet time with God and Gabriel (done)
Fold and put away laundry (done)
Put away dishes and start to reload dishwasher (done)
Reorganize diaper bag (done)
Work on curriculum
Work on blog (didn't get it done yesterday, but I am now! :) )
Organize Gabriel's room more effectively
Organize and tidy master bedroom
Organize laundry area
Laundry (done)
Renew library books

So, I had made a pretty extensive list. I feel like, even though I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, the apartment already looks so much better and today I can get the rest done (hopefully). I decided to do this for a number of reasons. The main one being, I have this sceanario in my head. Someone comes over for a few minutes and walks into the apartment and says, "Wow, your apartment looks really nice! How do you do it with such a young child?" and I would say ,"It's not me, it's God."
Truth be told, I'm not the world's greatest homemaker. I never have been, I never had chores as a child and really, I'm kind of learning as I go here. But I want my home to be that - a home, no matter where we live. I had been telling Eric, "Oh, I'd keep the house so much better if we were renting a home or had a home of our own." But God showed me, this is my home. Home really is where the heart is, and so no matter where we live, I am going to treat it like the home it deserves to be.

Perhaps in September, when our lease is up and we have to either renew it or move, we will get a nice cozy little rental home. Who knows? It all depends on what God has in store for us.

So, I offer a challenge ladies, a challenge for all of us. I challenge you to, maybe while the kids are done for a nap, or having quiet time, spend some time just reflecting on what a home is, and how you can make yours feel more homey :)

She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all." Charm is decietful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. - Proverbs 31:27-30

No comments:

Post a Comment